Sylkie + Norfolk

Two alpaca knits to share with you! This is Gudrun Johnston’s Sylkie knit in Berroco Ultra Alpaca. The slipped stitch pattern is worked without a cable needle, which was quite nice once I got the hang of it and trusted that I wouldn’t drop the stitch! It’s knit lengthwise and grafted together at the end so you could easily knit it as long as you like.

And this is Amy Christoffers’ Norfolk Hat. This was a very exciting project for me – my first using the tubular cast on technique. I’m in love. Seriously. It results in such a neat, flexible edge. I used these two tutorials.

Now for more projects using tubular cast on…

[Second photo courtesy of Christopher]

[Ravelled: Sylkie + Norfolk Hat]


I had to laugh when I read Kate Davies’ description of this fantastic project: A “skater’s muff.” I’ve skated once since childhood – over Christmas holidays last year – and I can’t imagine having my hands anywhere else but straight in front of me like some kind of zombie ice skater. But I am willing to accept that not everyone shares these challenges so here’s one for them!

Chris’ mom loved the last muff I made her so much that she put in a request for another. As soon as Kate blogged her Mucklemuff pattern I knew this one would be it. It uses a motif from Mary-Jane Mucklestone’s 200 Fair Isle Motifs, and a neat I-cord finish and wrist-loop. Handy if you need to make a quick stop while skating!

I used Lima by Diamond Yarn for the first time – a single-ply 100% wool aran-weight yarn – and would definitely use it again. I think it worked beautifully for colourwork.

[Photos courtesy of Christopher]






I started this cardigan way back in September. During the many months between then and now, I came full circle on bottom-up seamless construction.  It was my Moch Cardi, another bottom-up sweater, that turned it all around. I loved the neatness of the underarm seams and how effortless the yoke felt after finishing row upon row of the body. So I picked it back up and finished the sleeves and yoke, and I’m happy I did. I love it – the smocking, the I-cord edging and cuffs, and the Rowan Felted Tweed that I used. The pattern is Ysolda Teague’s Coraline – highly recommended!



Cleo Kitty Slippers

Cleo Kitty Slippers

I’m a big fan of Kristen Rengren’s Vintage Baby Knits.  These slippers are my second project from the book, and I loved making them just as much as the first.  The pattern is also available as a free download from Melanie Falick Books, along with others from STC Craft books that would make great holiday projects.

I’m particularly aware of my unwieldy stash at the moment, so I resolved not to buy any new yarn for this project. I decided on Mirasol’s Cotanani – the one ball I had ended up being just enough. It’s a nice yarn to work with – the merino blended in makes for a much softer cotton yarn!

I made a couple of modifications to the pattern: I made I-cords for the ankle straps, instead of garter stitch bands; and I made the ears a little bit smaller (CO 5 sts rather than 9), since I used a heavier weight yarn than called for.

How about you, any stash-busting projects to recommend?


Baby Yoda Cardigan

Happy Canada Day! The only connection this post has to my country’s birthday is the yarn used for this project. Mission Falls is 100% Canadian!

A Baby Yoda Sweater knit for Oliver, a new BC baby. Mission Falls 1824 Cotton makes this perfect for a coastal summer and autumn – lightweight and soft. I knit this in pieces and then assembled according to the pattern. If you have a deep hatred of sewing up (perfectly understandable!), there are seamless versions on Ravelry that are knit from the top down.

I love the texture of this yarn. There’s something pebbly about it. This was my first Mission Falls project but it won’t be the last! I bought enough yarn for another Yoda in a different colourway. When it comes to yarn, decision making is not my strong point.


Bamboo Baby Hat

This hat makes a really sweet baby gift, with the added bonus of being a quick, one-piece knit. It took just shy of one ball of Diamond Bamboo Cotton yarn. I used the pattern Cisco by the Berroco Design Team, with some modifications. I knit the whole hat in garter stitch (rather than stockinette in parts), worked I-cords for the ties and used one solid colour rather than the stripe pattern given.

The ears are a playful feature of this little hat. I used to think dressing children up as animals was cruel. I’ve changed my mind. It’s ridiculously cute.